Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Drilling the basics is the road to Victory!

I at first had the idea to write this post on the theory that sequencing is the key to learning, but after talking to my friend Kobi via Facebook; I decided that for White Belts and Blue Belts (and everyone for that matter) drilling is what is important.

For the White Belt, drilling the most basic moves is going to lay the foundation for your Jiu-Jitsu and foster growth for years. Drilling moves such as armbars and kimuras form the guard, basket weave pass, knee on belly, and all the forms of choking form the back and sweeps and reversals, throws, break falls and rolls, must be mastered before any sort of game plan can be created.

Doing 50 armbars from the guard may seem boring and it is defiantly exhausting, but think what you have done within those 50 repetitions. You have conditioned your core and legs for the explosive movements needed to perform the armbar, and most importantly you have built muscle memory for the armbar.

Muscle memory is a physiological term that refers to the synaptic response that occurs with repetitive movements. The body is highly adaptive, when a movement is performed enough the body adapts to it and builds a specific neuropath way; when this occurs the movement can be performed quickly, efficiently and with minimal effort and thought.

Strategically speaking, as you drill your basic moves you are also improving your ability to recognize the opportunity to apply the drilled technique. As an added bonus not only will you be able to recognize and apply the technique from where you drill it, you will start to see the opportunity for the technique from various other angles.

I began to drill the kimura lock form the guard like everyone else. At first I had to think about the steps and my body positioning. Needless to say my movement was slow and inefficient, but as time went on my technique increased in speed and efficiency. My mental awareness no longer had to focus on the movement so when rolling all I had to think about was finding the opportunity to perform the kimura. As more time passed I did not even have to look for the kimura I just seemed to see it from all angles and I simply reacted and went for it. It took several months to reach this level but, it is well worth it as I have found success with it at tournaments.

Ever watch the higher belts roll and everything they do seems to be immediate and just seems to flow? The same can be said of when Eric Clapton rips on the guitar, or a gymnast does their floor routine or as we type on our keyboards without looking at the keys. It takes practice, sometimes years of practice, but that is what is needed to become the best, practice.

I know, I know, drilling is boring, we all want to roll so when we get to the tournament we can win. Well if you do not drill the basic moves you will find your progress lacking, and then you will be tapped in sparing and tournaments. Do not discredit the importance of drilling the basic movements in Jiu-Jitsu. At our school we dedicate an entire practice to drilling one move for the entire class. When we roll after our drilling practice, we are all amazed by how much our technique and game plan has improved by simply drilling the same movement over and over again.

It seems that a premium has been placed on rolling and it is fun, it is my favorite part of class, but if you do not drill your movements then your game will become stagnant and you will become discouraged because nothing you do will seem to work. Drilling the basics is the key to growth. Pro Baseball players still go to batting practice, Golfers still go to the driving range, and even Pro Boxers still hit the heavy bag and practice mitts. Why as Jiu-Jitsu players should we be any different?

The result of constant drilling of a basic movement!


Get on the matt and drill the basics and experience how much your game will improve!



Be blessed!!!

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog, keep it up. I've been blogging myself for the last 10 months since i took up Judo and since then I have also trained some BJJ so reading other blogs really interests me.
    My blog here http://stuartjudo.blogspot.com/
    All the best for the new year.
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stuart, I started out as a Judoka myself and plan on getting back to my Judo at the begining of the year.

    Thank you for the encouragement, Happy New Year and be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the article, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blue, sorry for the belated response (almost a year later) life has a way of keeping us from doing things we enjoy.

      Hope you will like some of the entries that I will be writing in the future.

      Delete