Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Judo Training

Tonight I made my return to Judo practice at Sacramento Judo Club. I forgot how demanding the sport is. Tai-Chi Waza is very demanding due to the huge emphasis place in the Push-Pull Factor of Human Movement (More on that in a latter blog).

We did a light warm up and stretched; afterwards we practiced some basic sweeps form the guard positions. As a BJJ Blue Belt I find some the sweeps peculiar only because some of them seem to leave you open to having your opponent take side control. Alas I must train Judo with my Judo Goggles on, not my BJJ Goggles. Sensei Tekeda had three of us lay in open guard and ran the rest of the students through to practice fighting from the guard. I enjoyed this because al I have been doing for the last 8 weeks or so is fight from my back, so I was able to give nearly everyone the business.

We did  five, five minute rounds of Ne-Waza Randori. I had a great roll with Sensei Tony Comfort, who is very skilled at Ne-Waza and gave me quite a challenge.

Next came the drills for Tai-Chi Waza. We drilled just getting Kazsushi. As we broke Uke's balance we moved up and down the Dojo. I practice Osoto Gari and Kouchi to Ouchi Grai. I was terrible at both.

Then came the Randori; seven five minute rounds of pure hell. I realized that I am decent at grip fighting and avoiding alot of throws, but I am timid when it comes to attacking. I think that I need to just find one or two moves and drill the hell out of them until I become proficient. As stated before drilling is the key to success.

Do any Judokas learning the art have the same problem? Not attacking nearly enough?

Besides that practice went great and I am not as tired as I thought I would be.

Be Blessed!!!

3 comments:

  1. When you say that your Sensei gave you quite a challenge in Newaza, do you mean that you can normally tap him?
    I know what you mean about some Judo sweeps leaving you vulnerable. Its hard to turn off the BJJ mindset.

    with regards to the Tachi-waza, i'm fairly new to Judo myself and I do find it difficult to attack when doing Randori, especially against the higher grades who throw me everytime I try a throw on them. That said I am slowly beginning to realise that getting thrown is good ukemi practice so just attack attack attack and dont worry about being thrown, afterall you are training against friends so it doesn't matter if you get thrown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tap most of the black belts if not pin them. I used alot of BJJ guard passes and submissions on them, as stated in my essay they simply do not train enough in newaza or complex newaza.
    Sensei Tony Comfort (look him up, he used to train with Rhonda Rousey's mother) is very good at newaza. We go back and forth. I would say that his skills are about mid to high blue belt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your input Stuart I appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete