Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Judo Training

Tonight's Judo training seemed more intense to me. I was really tired this evening due to getting off work really late. I almost did not go, but I decided I had to because I will not be able to go to BJJ on Thursday so I went.

I got to class a few minutes late so I missed the frst part of the warm up. After we stretched we did more to the basic Judo Newaza sweeps we do. I work with a different person this time, instead of Sensei Weiler. He was very eager to pick my brain on Newaza. Of course he wanted me to show him real exotic things like the D'arce choke and the rubber guard. I told him I do not even know how to do those things and that most matches are won by the most basic chokes and locks. I advised him to drill the basics and focus on the fundamentals of the closed guard and open guard for now, and to also work on his Osaecomi-Wazi (forgive me for my misspellings). I showed him some of the sweeps I use from the open guard and some of the theory of BJJ and how to use what space and movements your opponent give you to make the sweep happen.

We did 30 minutes of Newaza Randori and then move on to Ta-Chi Waza. We set up the poor, old broken down crash pad and practiced Kuzushi drills and then threw Uke on to pad with our throw. I did alright with Uchi Mata, but was really getting a clean powerful throw with Harai Goshi. Sensei Takeda had us switch to Osoto Gari and all of mine were horrible!!! My foot was too high or my hips did not go through enough to generate power for the throw, defiantly something I will work on in the future.

Last we did Randori of course and I was able to use my grip figthing to be defensive but still be active so not have any stalling called on me. Sensei Weiler kept trying to throw me with Osoto Gari but I was able to counter by grabbing his leg and using a wrestling technique called "running the pipe" as a legal counter.

I did take a thumb to the eye so I had to sit out a round as I could not see out of my left eye. Class well and was very enjoyable and I am glad I went to train!!!!

Sensei Takeda told me he knows that I am ready to be promoted to Blue Belt in Judo!!! I need to study the guideline that he has given me so I can test at the end of the month. I hope to be a double Blue!!!

Be Blessed!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have my first Judo class of the new year tonight so will update my blog in the next few days but reading yours is making me look forward to it.

    I also like the fact that your Judo instuctors are open to your BJJ ideas on Newaza. Mine are old and set in their ways and would not let me or our resident BJJ blue belt show them anything. Idealy I would like my BJJ instrcutor to give our Judo club a seminar on BJJ Newaza but its unlikely they will ever allow it.

    Look forward to hearing how you get on with your Blue Belt promotion.
    Great read, keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Stuart: I wondered why you have not posted anything new on your blog. My Judo club does not take any breaks. We train year round. Sometimes I do wish we did take a few weeks off.

    Be Blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete