Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weight Training


I finally went to the gym for the first time in four months. The problem I find with weight training is that compared to Judo and BJJ is that it is very boring. I go to 24 Hour Fitness which is where everybody goes and I see bad form, kids working out only their arms and chest, and men and women wearing things that they shouldn't.

I do not like to spend alot of time in the gym, I like to get in there hit the weigths hard and get out. My workouts are sport specific, meaning that the focus is on movements that are common in grappling, which is mostly pulling movements. So I do alot of deadlifts, Wide grip lat pull downs, low cable rows etc.

I have my workouts spread throughout the week by a "Pull" day, "Push" day, and a leg day. I based this on the Four Pillars of Human movement. One is Locomotion, which is walking, running etc. I run on a daily basis so that takes care of training locomotion, and even though there is not alot of locomotion in BJJ or Judo, the cardiovascular benefits are great as is the fat burning that locomotion training provides.

The other pillar is the Push/Pull pillar which is the most used in grappling, with more emphasis on the "pull". Both must be trained to keep a muscular balance and avoid injury. The next is "level change" which is using the legs to move the body up and down. This comes in play when changing levels for a double or single leg takedown or in Judo when using hip throws such as Harai Goshi or Ippon Seoi Nage.

The last Pillar is Rotation which is the most neglected factor of movement. So far the best way I have found to train rotation in the body is by using Kettlebells, which I will start to implement a kettlebell workout once a week.

On Friday I trained the "pull" factor. My workout went as follows: Deadlifts: 225 pounds x 8 Reps, 275 x 6, 295 x 4, 315 x 3. I could had gone much heavier but I did not want to tire my back out too much. Wide grip pulldowns: 155 x 8, 175 x 8, 195 x 8, Close Grip Pull downs: 175 x 8, 8, 8, Low Row cable pulls: 165 x 8, 8,8.

That was my workout for Friday. Simple and not very complex, but it is short and brief and to the point. I rather spend the extra time on the mat!

Be Blessed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment